Saturday, June 02, 2007

Sir John Gilmour

The former Scottish Conservative MP Sir John Gilmour has died at the age of 94. Sir John, 3rd Baronet, was the eldest son of the 2nd Baronet, also Sir John, who served as Secretary for Scotland and Secretary of State for Scotland from 1924-29. You can read his obituary in the (Dundee) Courier by clicking here. Tam Dalyell also has a very personal obituary in today's Independent, which you can read by clicking here. In addition, I wrote an obituary which appeared in both the Scotsman and the Herald. The Times also has one which you can read by clicking here, while a rather late obit by Brian Wilson appeared in yesterday's Guardian.

Sir John remained active in public life until just a few years ago, and was diligent enough to correspond with me while I was researching a short biography of his father for The Scottish Secretaries. Another bit of trivia: Sir John was a cousin of the 3rd Viscount Younger of Leckie, and therefore related to the late George Younger and also John Purvis, one of Scotland's two Conservative MEPs.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Gilmour said...

David,

I was interested to see you had posted an article regarding my grandfathers passing. I never thought I would see the day he was featured in a blog!

Thank you for your kind thought. I shall keep an eye on future postings.

Kind regards, Patrick Gilmour

1:14 AM

 
Blogger David Torrance said...

My pleasure Patrick. If you're interested, I've just added links to an obituary I wrote of Sir John for the Scotsman and the Herald newspapers. David.

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home